My friend Ryan has clued me into an error I've made regarding something I wrote. The arabic word lehm (لحم) means anything that isn't chicken or fish. Thus, meat. The statement I made that most Yemenis can't tell the difference between goat or sheep or beef probably came as a result of the few times I've had meat here. It's cooked to charcoal and I can't tell the difference, especially since it's all just "meat."
In my class last week we played Two Truths and a Lie. In teams the students wrote three statements about themselves, two true and one false and the other team had to guess which was the lie. One of the girls made a statement that she could cook meat. And the other team assumed correctly that she hasn't had the chance to try to cook meat, and they guessed that to be the lie, which it was. I asked her then, "So you can't cook meat?"
"No," she replied, "my family doesn't eat meat."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment